Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer White Miniskirt





 Summer is here and a white mini is an essential piece in my wardrobe.  I saw a miniskirt  by BCBG, with pleats at the hem, and I gave it a try, I got compliments when I wore it!!!!! Super easy and inexpensive to make.
You need about 3/4 yds of fabric, silky and soft, and 1.5 inch wide elastic.

Fold the fabric in half, selvages together.  Mark the position of the pleats and leave about 1.5 inches at the bottom for a hem. I put 3 pleats.  They were about 1.5 inches apart.




Fold the fabric along the pleat mark and sew, the pleats are 3/4 inch wide. Repeat this for all 3 pleats.

 Press the pleats down.




Gather the top edge, with a long machine stitch. Don't gather it too tightly, you need to be able to put it on through your head. 



Cut a piece of elastic the same length of your waist measurement.
Pin the elastic to the top. Match the center of the top to the center of the fabric.  Sew the elastic to the top of the skirt, stretching the elastic.








 Sew the side seam, hem your skirt, and you are ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave your comment, and post your picture as  well!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great skirt for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for dropping a comment at my blog. :) I envy your sewing skills. I love DIYs, I'm following you.

    Psyche
    My Thrifting Adventures
    http://luckythrift.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete